The mission of the Xavier High School Library Media Center is to help educate all patrons in a spirit of faith and academic excellence.
The ministry Catholic education in the Xavier LMC means that personnel are committed to aiding students in many practical and diverse ways and ...
...provide an atmosphere of academic excellence in a quiet, faith-filled environment.
...aid each individual to find current and authoritative information on a wide variety of topics for class projects and presentations.
...cooperate with all students and faculty to teach needed library, computer, and Internet skills.
...encourage the exploration and responsible use of diverse resources including books, magazines, newspapers, information databases, LMC computer software, AV materials, and Interent.
Library Media Center Hours
Monday 8:15 AM - 6:00 or 7:00 PM
Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursdays 7:00 AM - 6:00 or 7:00 PM
Friday 7:00 AM - 4:30 PM
The Xavier LMC is closed on all vacation days, in-service days, and for weekly Monday morning meetings. On days when special schedules are in effect, the LMC will follow the revised schedule for that day.
- Automated card catalog and access to area online card catalogs
- Thirty computers for student use - twenty-four in the class area and six for independent work
- Access to Internet resources and databases from the LMC's electronic resources webpage
- Books, magazines, newspapers, encyclopedias, dictionaries, and other print resources
- CD-ROM, DVD, video, and other electronic resources
- Audio visual equipment
- Copy machine for student use ($.10 per page)
Use of only approved or already installled software or computer peripherals is allowed on LMC computers. All installation work of any kind on the LMC computers is done solely by Xavier's network administrator.
Printing material in the Xavier LMC requires a print preview and a controlled printing of only the material desired. Copy pasting your notes into Word with appropriate citation information is recommended. Ask permission before printing more than five consecutive pages unless the printout is of finished project work to be handed in to your teacher. Ask for help if you do not know how to do a controlled printout of information.
To print in color requires knowledge of the printer set-up in the LMC. Ask for permission and help before printing in color.
Students need to present their school picture ID to media personnel in order to check out Xavier LMC materials. This ID is also a library card
- Book checkout is for three weeks. A book may be checked out a second time if there is no waiting list for the title.
- Magazine checkout is for one week. In general magazines are not renewed. Current titles may only be checked out overnight.
- Newspapers are for use in the LMC. Students may arrange for overnight checkout.
- Videos or DVD recordings are checked out to teachers. When students need to view a video or DVD that they have missed, they may do so in one of the library's study rooms.
- Reserved books and other materials for a class or class project may not be checked out or may have special checkout policies assigned to them. In general the majority of these materials may be checked out for overnight use only.
Overdue materials are charged a fine of $.05 a day after a short grace period. This fine applies to regular checkout of books(three weeks) and magazines (one week).
Overnight checkout of materials incurs an immediate fine of $.50 per hour each hour all day for a maximum fine of $4.00 a day each day that the item(s) is/ are overdue. The expectation is that these items are important for class work and should be available on campus during the school day. All items are due by 8:00 AM to avoid this substantial fine.
Special Note: ALL fines need to be paid at the conclusion of each term, and all items replaced, returned or renewed. Failure to take of this each term may endanger library privileges.
Code of Conduct in the XHS LMC
- Have Xavier school ID on hand at all times.
- Have your Xavier Computer / Interent Acceptable Use Policy or AUP on file. Have read it carefully and understand all the expectations put forth in this AUP before using the Xavier computers.
- Maintain a studious, quiet atmosphere in the LMC.
- Use courtesy and Internet netiquette :-) at all times while in the LMC.
- No eating or drinking in the LMC. No electronic media (cellphones, headphones) - just like in the classrooms.
- Be resposible for all items used in the LMC or checked out.
- Present PASS to LMC personnel for signature and return PASS to teacher or supervisor during class and lunch times. (Some exceptions for seniors.)
- ASK for HELP from LMC personnel whenever you need it.
Xavier Computer / Internet Acceptable Use Policy
A signed computer / Internet Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) must be on file at Xavier before students may use the school computers / Internet.
Click to read the Xavier Computer / Internet AUP